Skip to main content

Strike a Pose: My Boudoir Experience

Who doesn't want to strip down to their skivvies and take a few photos? Not me, but I did it anyway.

Over the last few years, I've had several friends who have participated in boudoir photo sessions. Whether a surprise for their groom on wedding day or as an anniversary or birthday present for a significant other, a boudoir session is an intimate photo shoot where the participant usually dons lingerie and sheer clothing. It's a pinup and glam session; not an X-rated experience.

Probably like a lot of women I know, the thought of snapping pictures in a negligee isn't something that I'm chomping at the bit to do. Like many, I have struggled with being comfortable in my own skin throughout the vast majority of my life. I remember the sheer dread of bathing suit shopping every year starting in middle school and progressing into my adult life. And while many people complete a boudoir session for someone else and my husband will hopefully enjoy the final product, doing this shoot was much more about me. It was an opportunity to feel beautiful and capture the beauty of today. I've never felt stronger thanks to my upcoming half marathon. And while I'm nowhere near the smallest I've ever been, I'm by far the strongest. And that's something to celebrate, remember and capture before the Big 30. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to let myself go after September or that I don't hope to continue to push myself in terms of my fitness goals, it's more about finding ways to celebrate yourself in the moment. I may never reach that goal weight that's been in my head for years. Frankly, I like cake too much. But I hope as I continue to go from birthday to birthday, that I can become more comfortable with the body I have, treat it well and continue to be active and healthy-except for the cake. I'll never give it up!

As for the session, I picked Tangled Boudoir Photography with Jamie Smialek. I've seen Jamie's other non-boudoir work all around Chattanooga as many friends have used her for family and wedding sessions. To say her work is phenomenal is an understatement. But looking into the boudoir process, I really liked Jamie's approach, thoughts about this type of session and the day's process that starts with mimosas. This was key!

Upon arrival to Jamie' studio, there were several other ladies there preparing for their pictures as well. You have two options with Jamie's session: you can do a private session or come on one of her day long shots with multiple clients. I would suggest the latter because she has hair and makeup on site, and it was fun talking with the other ladies about why they were doing the shoot. Plus if I did my own hair and makeup for this, I feel like I would end up looking like a bad Glamour Shot victim. See below.

I couldn't resist! Hahahaha!!!

For the actual shoot, it's just Jamie and you. And to say that Jamie puts you at ease is an understatement. She gets you out of your head and makes you feel beautiful while also making sure you're not doing anything unflattering. It was a quick 30 minutes for the actual shoot with several outfit changes.

Now for the big question, did you like your photos? Yes, but that doesn't mean I looked at every photo and had glowing thoughts. But overall, yes. I was happy with the way I looked and proud that I did this. And while I'll always wrestle with some body image demons, I'd like to think this process was a big step in quieting those.

As for a picture, I'll give you one. While I'm proud of the pictures, I'm also acutely aware of the fact that I do not want pictures of me in my underwear anywhere near the internet.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Light My Fire

Remember old TV westerns and lost in the wild style movies when someone needs to start a fire they just go grab two rocks, strike them together and maybe in two tries they have a fire? Well, I tried something similar and it took more than two tries. Don't ask me how I came up with this list idea item. Maybe I saw a Man vs Wild promo and thought "What survival skills should I know before 30?" Or maybe I was trying to channel my inner Katniss and didn't have time to master archery in a year. Regardless, starting a fire with flint made its way onto the list. Like any other 29 year old, the first thing I did when preparing for this was visit my trusty, know it all friend Google. And the nuances I found were both entertaining and strange. There were many fire starter purists that gave examples of how to make our own char cloth, the pros and cons of u shaped versus c shaped steel strikers and preferences on the type of flint family rock to use. Here's one example