Skip to main content

We Danced in the Rain

“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” Confucius sure did know what he was talking about when it came to the joy most people receive through the gift of music. And I say gift deliberately. Producing, singing, writing, performing music is a true gift for those lucky enough to possess it. And while I wouldn't classify myself as a musicophilic, I did want to include a musical sampling adventure in my 30 Before 30 challenge. While I have attended a concert or two outside, I had not attended a show hopping, multi-day festival in its entirety. 


With the parameters of no camping (you all know how I feel about camping), within easy driving distance of Chattanooga and a lineup that included at least a few bands I knew of, Sloss Music & Arts Festival in Birmingham won. 


SlossFest is a two-day festival that featured what I would classify as popular but non-mainstream artists - alternative if you will but I don't think that genre classification is totally accurate. Pros and cons of SlossFest, Birmingham is a fun city and the former Sloss Furnace Company site offers a truly unique backdrop. There were additional fun things on site other than music to do including old school iron pouring demonstrations. 

 The layout of the area with three main stages, one being in an old shed area cleverly named the Shed stage, was thoughtfully designed and made for easy transition from show to show. The food at the event was mostly from local vendors which was great to get a taste of Birmingham. And most importantly, I had heard horror stories of hour long lines at music festivals to use a porta potty. Thankfully, even during the busiest of times, I didn't even wait 5 minutes. 



The biggest con for SlossFest was the heat! With 90+ temperatures, it was HOT, but we had prepared for it. There were lots of water stations available along with shaded spots when you needed a break. But I never made it to the Eno Hammock Park :( Another potential con for someone else might be the lineup. This is my style of music; I enjoyed it. But you're not going to find huge mainstream acts at Sloss. The other con was personal; I just felt OLD. Maybe this should have been on a 25 Before 25 list as I was at least 5-7 years older than the average attendee. And to every 21 year old in high waisted mom jorts and fanny packs, you will regret that fashion choice one day. Why are fanny packs a thing???? The last time I saw so many fanny packs in one spot was on my kindergarten field trip to the Knoxville Zoo in 1991. 


So other than feeling like a grandma at times, did I enjoy it? Absolutely! The Joy Formidable, Grouplove and Death Cab for Cutie put on great shows that were exactly as I expected. Shovels and Rope, a husband and wife duo, were incredible, and I am so bummed I missed them when they were recently in Chattanooga. We caught the tale end of the Sylvan Esso concert, but they sounded awesome and sold out of all their merchandise shortly after their show. My two stand outs were Fitz and the Tantrums and The Flaming Lips. Fitz and the Tantrums just put on a great show; high energy, got the crowd super involved and just had great songs. The Flaming Lips were just wild. They had lots of great props, really engaged the crowd and did a fantastic David Bowie tribute with Space Oddity. It was the last show we attended at SlossFest, and it really capped off the event well. And everything is better when you have great friends with you like our friends Alex and Jessie who drove from Augusta, GA to enjoy it with us. 
This pretty much sums it up. 


Will you catch me at Bonnaroo in 2017? Dancing like a hippie at Coachella? Probably not. I think I'll stick to more low key festival productions. But we did get to dance like a bunch of hippies in the rain during a 30 minute rain shower on Sunday. 


Dancing in the rain!
Iron pouring demonstration. The heat rolling off the iron as they poured it was intense! 
Grouplove show. 
Pre EDM DJ Hudson Mohawke Show in the Shed Stage. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Light My Fire

Remember old TV westerns and lost in the wild style movies when someone needs to start a fire they just go grab two rocks, strike them together and maybe in two tries they have a fire? Well, I tried something similar and it took more than two tries. Don't ask me how I came up with this list idea item. Maybe I saw a Man vs Wild promo and thought "What survival skills should I know before 30?" Or maybe I was trying to channel my inner Katniss and didn't have time to master archery in a year. Regardless, starting a fire with flint made its way onto the list. Like any other 29 year old, the first thing I did when preparing for this was visit my trusty, know it all friend Google. And the nuances I found were both entertaining and strange. There were many fire starter purists that gave examples of how to make our own char cloth, the pros and cons of u shaped versus c shaped steel strikers and preferences on the type of flint family rock to use. Here's one example