Skip to main content

A Glacier Runs Through It

Solheimajokull....that's the name of the glacier that provided more clarity for me than I expected.

Seeing this glacier was on the itinerary for Day 3 of our week long trip in Iceland. And before arriving at the glacier, we had just checked out the incredible Skogafoss waterfall. Chance and I stood at the base of this aqua monster and all it's glory.

Skogafoss...we were drenched at this point.

Well, that probably wasn't the best idea with my DSLR camera huh? To my credit, I babied this camera throughout our trip and had a great plastic cover that kept my Canon nice and dry for the majority of the trip. The problem I didn't think about - residual condensation.

So as we were heading to the glacier after the waterfall, I was so worried that I just wrecked a $500 camera because the lens and inside the camera were super foggy. In addition, I'm a little bit of an anti iPhone picture taker. While it's incredibly useful and I do take iPhone pictures like anyone else (the waterfall picture above as an example), I'm a firm believer that quality pictures matter, and I take those pictures with my DSLR if I can help it.

So as we are hiking up to the glacier sans my foggy camera, the entire time I'm stressing about the camera, mad that my documentation of this list item will be with an iPhone and then I see the glacier. First, this thing is massive. And it's a baby glacier compared to others in Iceland and around the globe. Second, it's beautiful. The sheer size, incredible blue tones that don't show up in most pictures and the foreboding danger this geological wonder poses is truly a sight to be seen. And last, the fragility of something so massive is humbling. Whatever you believe about global warming, there's no denying that Solheimajokull is melting and calving. It bothers me to think this beautiful, heavenly made feature on our planet may not be there or be much smaller if I ever return to Iceland. We did see a tiny piece of the glacier fall off when we were there, and the sound was deafening.

So the clarity the glacier provided. First, I can't control everything. Even if I plan and get the waterproof bag for the camera, things can still not work. Breath Amy. It's okay. Second, there's always a Plan B. Just find it. I took pictures with my iPhone, and they look great. All is well. An third, preserving and protecting our world's natural treasurers is important regardless if they are thousands of miles away from your front door.

This is as close as you are able to get without trained guides and glacier gear because Solheimajokull, like many other glaciers, is incredibly dangerous and experiencing advancing melt. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Light My Fire

Remember old TV westerns and lost in the wild style movies when someone needs to start a fire they just go grab two rocks, strike them together and maybe in two tries they have a fire? Well, I tried something similar and it took more than two tries. Don't ask me how I came up with this list idea item. Maybe I saw a Man vs Wild promo and thought "What survival skills should I know before 30?" Or maybe I was trying to channel my inner Katniss and didn't have time to master archery in a year. Regardless, starting a fire with flint made its way onto the list. Like any other 29 year old, the first thing I did when preparing for this was visit my trusty, know it all friend Google. And the nuances I found were both entertaining and strange. There were many fire starter purists that gave examples of how to make our own char cloth, the pros and cons of u shaped versus c shaped steel strikers and preferences on the type of flint family rock to use. Here's one example