Skip to main content

Iceland in the Books

Iceland...the land of waterfalls. Iceland...the land of sheep. Iceland...the land of hot dogs??

To answer your first question which is the question that I'm getting the most from those in my life is "Why Iceland"? Well, I'll give that credit to my dear husband who selected this as the destination to celebrate his Big 30 Birthday coming up in November. So this item on my list was really for him, but how could I not include it right?

For those that know nothing about Iceland (and I was in that boat before Chance selected this destination), the only thing I could remember when he mentioned it was that line from Mighty Ducks 2 about Iceland being green and Greenland being ice. Here's the refresher if you need it. And thankfully, that was very true.

The capital, Reykjavik, was our starting point with its beautiful architecture, public and street art and great metropolitan vibe. Here are some examples of our fun:
Hallgrímskirkja


Sunvoyager Sculpture

Reykjavík has an incredible street art scene.

And while I could go through every detail of our trip happily, here are some of my highlights:

Skogafoss
Waterfalls - There are countless waterfalls dotting the Iceland country side to the point where breathtaking falls that would cause mass pilgrimages here in Tennessee were somewhat underwhelming compared to monsters like Gulfoss and Skogafoss. And the nice thing is most of the waterfalls are easily accessible either from the road or with short hikes.

Snorkeling in between Continental Plates - In Iceland, the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet and are pulling away from each other at a rate of around 2cm a year. And that divide is filled with glacial melt. So, what do you do? You snorkel in it of course. No problem that the water is 35 degrees Fahrenheit right? We did wear dry suits which made the experience doable. The rock formations, the plant life, the clarity of the water at 100 meters deep (30/40 meters is considered great if you're snorkeling in the Caribbean to give you some perspective) were truly unlike anything else in the world. And we had hot chocolate after to warm up.

Blue Lagoon - A geothermal fed spa, the Blue Lagoon was pretty fantastic. If you look into this destination, you'll probably see mixed reviews. First, it is very touristy. Almost everyone who visits Iceland goes here. But, there's a reason. We spent a few hours lounging around, visiting the swim up bar and lathering silica all over our faces. But the best part was the in-water massages we treated ourselves to at the end of our day. And to top it all off, my masseuse looked like an Icelandic Bradley Cooper from American Sniper named Olef. It didn't hamper the massage experience.

Airplane Wreckage - Back in the 1970's, the US Navy was spying on good ole Russia, and the spying plane got into some icing trouble which resulted in a crash landing on the black sand beaches close to Vik. And for whatever reason, no one cleaned up the wreckage. While it isn't the most populated tourist spot, it is a photographer's dream. There's this carnage of a plane that's somewhat ghostly in its long neglect on a coarse black sand beach with vast expanses of sky and a huge punctuating sea cliff in the background you can see on a clear day.

We also saw geysers, massive sea cliffs and caves, seals, a monster of a geothermal plant (the engineer hubs was super into this), experienced a minor snow shower which would have been considered a blizzard here, quaint sea villages and glaciers (another list item that I'll post about soon). All in all, an outdoorsy sightseeing paradise that was definitely worth the trip.

Some general positives about visiting Iceland. It's much more economic now with Wow Air and can be easily added as a short stopping point on a trip to Europe as well if you have a longer trip in mind. Driving is very comparable to the US and is the best way to get around the county. Public transit isn't very prevalent, but most cars are manuals. Icelanders speak great English and most materials you come across will also include English. A negative - gas and food are really expensive. We averaged $6 a gallon for gas and drove a Chevy Spark for better gas mileage. I named it Spark Plug. Most meals will cost you $20-40 per person for standard restaurants. But, lodging was not bad and most places included breakfast which helped keep the food costs down.

Below are some additional favorite pics from the trip. And last, the hot dog story. Icelanders love hot dogs, and my guess is because it's the only cheap-ish food around. And while I agree their meat and bread are much higher quality than the standard American version, I found the mustard, remoulade and grilled onion combo to be revolting. But, the hubs loved them - to each their own.

A sculpture piece outside the Perlan.


The Harpa Concert Hall in Reyk. Incredible!

Spark Plug!

Icelandic Horses...them and their flowing manes are everywhere.

Vik

Our Icelandic cold water lobster feast.

Here are those sheep. While everywhere, they're not super easy to get a picture of.

Kirkjufell Mountain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Ballooning Anyone?

Jump into a basket with 16 other people and soar high above the ground with a huge balloon and two propane tanks as your navigation instruments. Sounds like a combination for a bad time right? Actually, it was amazing! For my last blog post, I'm going to talk about my Hot Air Balloon experience in Napa Valley and why I selected this adventure. Overall, heights and I get along. I've zip-lined over enormous canyons and near volcanoes in Costa Rica and stepped onto the glass floor of the Skydeck Ledge in Chicago along with perching atop look-offs of many hikes. But, there's something about the uncertainty of riding in a balloon that even unnerved my heights loving heart. But that anxiety subsided after about 1.2 minutes in the air. I decided to take the Hot Air Balloon trip in Napa Valley because it's a beautiful way to see the area, and it's a very common attraction in the area. Our pilot had over 30 years piloting and ballooning experience and completed about 250