Skip to main content

Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Holidays are the time for family, friends, Jesus and lots of sugar. But, it's taken me almost thirty years to have enough culinary courage to attempt peanut butter roll by myself.

The backstory on this one comes from many Christmases growing up, and the multiple unsuccessful attempts to make peanut butter roll with my mom and sister. Every December, we would gather in the kitchen to make a multitude of holiday fare, but we could never get peanut butter roll to come out successfully. Either it was too sticky or came out as hard as a rock. My sister and I would always eat whatever concoction came forth because it was basically straight sugar and what kid passes on that? Until finally, my mother, who is a wonderful cook and baker, gave up. Since then, the delectable candy has been intimidating, and I've never attempted to make it until this year.

So interesting story that I've ran into when this initially was published as a list item and more recently when I've been talking about completing the task is most people have no idea what type of candy this is. In my sheltered Holiday experience, I just assumed peanut butter roll was a widely held Christmas tradition or in the very least most people knew what it was. But, I was wrong. I did some digging, and it looks like peanut butter roll originated in Kentucky as a economical sweet. A common substitution for some of the sugar in the recipe is potato, and I do remember several people from back home (which is a stone's throw from the KY border) who preferably made their peanut butter roll with the addition of potato. How anyone made the stuff before stand mixers, gas stoves and candy thermometers is beyond me.

Here was my first attempt at peanut butter roll:.

It turned out about the consistency of hot marshmallow cream :( And the day before I had ruined a batch of sugar cookie dough. I wasn't on a good roll. Normally, I'm a really good baker. I have a mean apple pie with pretty lattice crust, and my lemon cake is a labor of delicious, tart love. Here's the recipe. So after two failed sweet attempts in a row, I needed some help. I reached out to someone I knew was a killer peanut butter roll maker and got the scoop. After an altered recipe, a few tutorial videos and pictures, I tried again.

And here's the confectionery goodness in all its tasty glory.





While it isn't a perfect peanut butter roll and needs to be rolled thinner/less peanut butter, it tastes like heaven. A big thank you to Shawn for sharing all her peanut butter roll knowledge. It wouldn't have turned out without all your help. Will I make peanut butter roll again? Sure.....next Christmas.


The peanut butter roll is husband approved as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Light My Fire

Remember old TV westerns and lost in the wild style movies when someone needs to start a fire they just go grab two rocks, strike them together and maybe in two tries they have a fire? Well, I tried something similar and it took more than two tries. Don't ask me how I came up with this list idea item. Maybe I saw a Man vs Wild promo and thought "What survival skills should I know before 30?" Or maybe I was trying to channel my inner Katniss and didn't have time to master archery in a year. Regardless, starting a fire with flint made its way onto the list. Like any other 29 year old, the first thing I did when preparing for this was visit my trusty, know it all friend Google. And the nuances I found were both entertaining and strange. There were many fire starter purists that gave examples of how to make our own char cloth, the pros and cons of u shaped versus c shaped steel strikers and preferences on the type of flint family rock to use. Here's one example