Skip to main content

Hiking a Century


Look off at Edward's Point
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity." John Muir

What comes to your mind when  you hear someone say, "Let's go for a hike!"? Some of you may day dream of lacing up your Keen's, grabbing some water and trail mix and running out to the nearest trailhead. Some may contemplate the imperfect weather and possibility of bears to then retreat back to a beloved Netflix account. And some may think of hiking as a pastime reserved for those in our society who wear a lot of plaid, have plant based diets and use Tom's deodorant if any at all. But when it comes to hiking, I fall into the first category. 

There aren't many things in life that are as consistently rewarding as hiking. Although I lace up a pair of Vasque boots, conquering a trail both in elevation and length provides a jolt of satisfaction and accomplishment that I have yet to find boring. My love of hiking can be accredited to my parents. While we were not out in the woods every weekend, my parents took us hiking as kids pretty consistently. Whether that was to get us out of the house, a love of nature or a combination of the two, it worked. And though I love hiking and living in Chattanooga makes that passion very easy, I wanted to make hiking a priority for my 30 Before 30 challenge. Challenging hikes, longer hikes and more frequent hikes got me over the 100 mile mark. Below is a list of my hikes with a short review of each. But before that, here are some thoughts for those interested in taking up hiking or expanding their own hiking repertoire. 

Shoes and socks are important, and tennis shoes don't really cut it for longer or more strenuous hikes. Go get fitted for some hiking boots and make sure to go up a half to one full size of shoe to accommodate for socks, swelling and just giving your feet some more room. Please don't set off on a hike without water. Even a short distance in cooler temperatures can be deceiving and taking wrong turns that could extend your time in the woods is way more common than you think. I did it twice. And while you're at it, throw in a granola bar or two just to be safe. Find a buddy. Thankfully, hiking is a hobby that my husband and I share. He mountain bikes which terrifies me, and running is about the last thing I can ever get him to do. So hiking is our compromise. If you don't have someone in your life that you can get to hike with you, try finding a group on an online site like Meetup.com. Last, finding trail information like access points, where to park, potential maintenance, length of trail, difficulty rating, etc. can be tricky. Although not in every City, RootsRated is a great outdoor resource finder for a variety of activities: hiking, climbing, skiing, paddling, disc golf, etc. While I have found some discrepancies in their trail length estimates, they provide a wealth of helpful information like what you can expect from the trail and a characterization of who will like each trail. I've also found their difficulty ratings to be spot on. 

So for the miles:


  • Fiery Gizzard - 13 miles; by far the hardest hike on the list but had the most trail variety
  • Iceland - 6 miles; a cumulative number for various waterfall, cliff top and look off treks 
  • Mushroom Rock - 4.6 miles; took a wrong turn on this one. Should have been more like 5.5 miles but ended basically climbing a section which shortened the overall time
  • Moccasin Bend Loop - 3.1 miles; this is more like a nature path. Flat and good for a quick trail run.
  • Lula Lake Land Trust - 5.4 miles; open sporadically but so worth a visit. 
  • Stringer's Ridge - 9.4 miles (three separate trips); a great urban wilderness section close to downtown Chattanooga. It's a nice spot to get in a short hike. 
  • Springer Mountain, Georgia - 10.8 miles; this is the southern terminus for the Appalachian Trail. We ran into some hikers who had just finished a North to South through hike and were enjoying their final stop. 
  • Guild Trail - 4 miles; popular trail running spot on Lookout Mountain
  • Jacks River Falls, Georgia - 7.6 miles; a few deeper creeks to ford on this one. Be prepared to take off your boots. 
  • Bee Branch Trail - 3.4 miles; actually didn't mean to hike this. Took a wrong turn but still a nice little hike on Signal Mountain
  • Sewanee Natural Bridge and Buggy Top Trail - 5.5 miles; two separate stops on Sewanne. The natural bridge is neat and very close to the road. Buggy Top had a cave at the end you could explore if you so desire. I left that to the bats. 
  • Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest - 2 miles: old growth forest in Robbinsville, NC. Short and beautiful. 
  • Savage Gulf 12.5 miles - here's an entire blog post explaining this adventure. 
  • Edwards Point - 4.3 miles; great look off.
  • Mount LeConte via Alum Cave Trail - 12.7 miles; This item was a separate list goal with a dedicated blog post coming soon. 
A total of 104.3 miles! 


Joyce Kilmer

Cave at the end of Buggy Top.

Natural Bridge at Sewanee. 

AT Trail Marker at Springer Mountain.

More Springer Mountain


Mushroom Rock 

Scary swinging bridge in desperate need of some TLC on the Cumberland Trail. 

Just hiking to some waterfalls in Iceland. 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Light My Fire

Remember old TV westerns and lost in the wild style movies when someone needs to start a fire they just go grab two rocks, strike them together and maybe in two tries they have a fire? Well, I tried something similar and it took more than two tries. Don't ask me how I came up with this list idea item. Maybe I saw a Man vs Wild promo and thought "What survival skills should I know before 30?" Or maybe I was trying to channel my inner Katniss and didn't have time to master archery in a year. Regardless, starting a fire with flint made its way onto the list. Like any other 29 year old, the first thing I did when preparing for this was visit my trusty, know it all friend Google. And the nuances I found were both entertaining and strange. There were many fire starter purists that gave examples of how to make our own char cloth, the pros and cons of u shaped versus c shaped steel strikers and preferences on the type of flint family rock to use. Here's one example