Skip to main content

All We Do is Run, Run, Run No Matter What

It's been a while since I've posted about this journey. And I can answer the reason for this delay in one word....running.

I'm now half way through training for my half marathon set to occur at the end of April. And while I'm excited and can see definite progress in my running abilities, training is all consuming. 

The plan that I'm using is Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan. I feel like I know Hal. He's the little voice in my head that keeps pushing me when I'm tired, and the man I curse internally when I'm struggling up a hill. Hal, you better get me to 13.1 miles on April 30th

And concerning Hal's plan, it works so far. I never imagined I would be running 4, 5, 6 miles at one time, and I'm able to do that currently without much soreness and residual fatigue. But with his plan, you're committing to 12 weeks, 6 days a week of something - running, cross training and/or strength training. The cross and strength training are important for injury prevention and endurance. Don't skip them my fellow newbies! 

So for those of you out there thinking about bumping up from small runs and 5Ks to a half, here are somethings I've learned in the first six weeks: 

Running Gear: Your shoes and socks become even more important in longer distances and more miles per week. I wear Brooks Ravena series and patron the good folks at Fast Break Athletics who continually check my fit and give great advice. I also took a runners self defense class they offered which was a great learning experience that I hope I never have to use. Also, make sure you invest in good socks to save your feet from blisters. Swiftwick and Goodhew are my favorite; the former for hot weather running and the latter for cooler. 

Reward Yourself: When I began the program, I had to walk at certain moments and still continue to do so on the weekend long run. Those small walk breaks after certain mileage points are pretty magical. Now instead of walk breaks, I carry water in a super cool runner's fanny pack (Jealous huh?) and reward myself with a drink at certain intervals. It's a way to reward myself but keep running. I know it's sounds weird and small, but sometimes it's that sip of water waiting at the end of Mile X that keeps me going. Find your reward. 

Vary Your Routes: I know there are times, especially before or after work, you just have to get a run in and that's fine. But varying your running routes and making sure you're working in hills and elevation change is making all the difference for me. I can run up hills now that I couldn't when I started and the monotony of running is lessened when you hit new terrain. 

Rump Run 5K at Enterprise South to mark halfway point.
Enjoy the Downhill: This is your time to catch your breath, enjoy the scenery and lessen that mile per minutes time. Enjoy the gift you earned by getting yourself to the top of that hill.   

Don't Skip the 5K: At 6 weeks in Hal's plan, he encourages a timed 5K race. At first, I planned on just running a 5K on my own that day but later decided to sign up for a race. I'm glad I did. It gave me a feeling of accomplishment and again, broke up the monotony of the schedule. At this point, you'll already have ran 6 miles. 3.2 feels like a breeze. 

If you're just starting out running, I would highly suggest this 7 week training plan from the Mayo Clinic. It's what I used for my first 5K back in 2013.



An update on some other list items. I completed my ceramics class and eagerly awaiting my pieces to be completed in the kiln. For my 5 minute plank goal, I'm getting stuck around the 3:30 to 4:00 minute mark. It's more environmental issues (hands slipping) and a mental block than ability. I'm hoping to crest this hump soon. Working on some songs with a very talented friend. Excited to see what happens there. Knitting is my nemesis, and I'm working my way slowly through the Treehouse program for my website development goal. Planning many hikes, a camping trip, Napa, which music festival to attend and getting ready to break out the camera again now the weather is nicer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Let's Sketch and Chat - A Story We Can Share

Unusual - that really wasn't the right word the more I thought about it.  With an original list item of attending an unusual arts performance, I think I was having a "She's All That" flashback moment and thinking I might attend something like this just for the oddity. But when I really thought about this opportunity, I realized that what I wanted more was to be involved rather than a spectator in an arts centered experience that a. I wouldn't normally put myself in and b. something I could actually walk away from feeling that the content mattered versus a weird guy in his underwear and some chanting (just watch the video). My unexpected art experience ended up being an adventure in visual art and discussion. Want to know my artistic ability? Scan some kindergarten classrooms and what you'll find is probably better than what I can produce. While visual art was not something I was naturally gifted in nor an area I felt interested in developing a skill set,