Skip to main content

Sipping Dom Perignon

I'll just confess to this from the get go; I spent $219 on one bottle of champagne. And I'm having all kinds of mixed feelings about this purchase.

The reason I added this to my 30 Before 30 list was two-fold: indulgence and to create some personal discomfort. Let's start with the latter. Normally, I'm a frugal person. While there are areas of my life I am more flexible about spending (travel being one), I tend to be pretty fiscally conservative. While you're not going to find me on an episode of Extreme Cheapskates digging dinner out of a dumpster, I don't carry any other debt than my home, I still drive the same car I drove as a junior in high school (Cora Corolla is still going strong) and I'm a mean bargain hunter. 

With that said, purchasing a $200+ bottle of champagne was a tough moment for me. And there aren't many things I can think of that are more fleeting and frivolous than sparkling wine. But, it's was also an indulgent, ridiculous and oddly interesting thing to do to mark my upcoming birthday. And when else can a normal working person justify this type of expenditure other than a big birthday or life milestone? 

So, how does Dom Perignon Vintage 2006 Brut taste? It was very smooth. While I typically like most moderately priced sparkling wines and champagnes anyway, sparking wine can definitely have a bitter or tart after taste. Dom Perignon did not have this. The taste was clean, refreshing and definitely was more complex in flavor than any other sparkling wine I've had.  

If you're looking to buy Dom Perignon at any point in the future, make sure to utilize the store locator feature on their website. There is exactly one liquor store in Chattanooga that sells this bubbly concoction and checking that beforehand saved me a lot of time.

Will I ever buy Dom Perignon again? Probably not. It's still just too expensive. However, I'm glad I did it.

My challenge to you is at some point, whether for a big birthday or to celebrate a milestone in life, give into something you've always wanted to do but maybe could never justify before. Maybe it's an adventure you've always wanted to do, a band you've always wanted to see or a restaurant you've always wanted to try and do it! Life is so short, and we are never guaranteed any more time. Be thoughtful, plan accordingly for the future but take the time to enjoy the now!

Cheers friends! 

I felt like I had to style this photo  somehow. 

Dom comes in this very nice, sturdy box. The frugal side of me is trying to find a useful, long-term and substantial use for the box to help ease my anxiety about the cost.  

We grilled filet because I couldn't just drink this with normal Friday night pizza right? 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Ballooning Anyone?

Jump into a basket with 16 other people and soar high above the ground with a huge balloon and two propane tanks as your navigation instruments. Sounds like a combination for a bad time right? Actually, it was amazing! For my last blog post, I'm going to talk about my Hot Air Balloon experience in Napa Valley and why I selected this adventure. Overall, heights and I get along. I've zip-lined over enormous canyons and near volcanoes in Costa Rica and stepped onto the glass floor of the Skydeck Ledge in Chicago along with perching atop look-offs of many hikes. But, there's something about the uncertainty of riding in a balloon that even unnerved my heights loving heart. But that anxiety subsided after about 1.2 minutes in the air. I decided to take the Hot Air Balloon trip in Napa Valley because it's a beautiful way to see the area, and it's a very common attraction in the area. Our pilot had over 30 years piloting and ballooning experience and completed about 250