Skip to main content

Decision 2016: What's Your Favorite Photo?

What's your definition of a photographer? Is it someone who gets paid to take pictures? Is a hobbyist with a fancy Nikon? Or can someone with a good eye, some Instagram filters and an iPhone a photographer?

I'm not sure what the answer to my question really is. But my path to photography started back in January of 2015. I took a two part photography class by a local arts nonprofit, AVA. The goal was to enhance my professional skill set, learn the basics of a DSLR camera and save myself some professional headache. Working in the marketing and communication world, having great visuals is a must. I wanted to be able to produce those on my own; both ensuring I could capture high quality images for all my needs and provide cost savings and add value to my professional position.

From the instruction of that class and many hours taking and editing pictures on my own, I would say my photography skills are passable. I would like to invest in some better lenses in the future and continue to take some classes. I shoot on a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 and am pleased with my experience so far.

One thing I know about my photography is I'm not a people photographer. I'm fine capturing corporate events, but things like weddings and baby pictures terrify me. I enjoy nature forward photography: animals, water features, foliage, etc. I also enjoy city scape and urban/architectural focused photography.

So while none of my pictures would be classified as technically perfect or incredibly appealing to the masses in the image overloaded society we occupy, they do signal the growth in my ability to capture the beauty around me.

So people's choice award time, which is your favorite?

(Please note the images had to be scaled down to actually be loaded to the blog.)

You'll note that a lot of my top choices are from my Iceland trip. Iceland is a photographer's dream!

Kirkjufell - Iceland

My family's cabin in Virginia, a very special place for me.

Caladiums on my front porch - the light was perfect and the pink on the leaves was intense. 

At Craven's House on Lookout Mountain.

An interesting sculpture piece at The Perlan, Iceland.

A graveyard in Vik, Iceland. The view the opposite way is the last picture on the post to give you some perspective.

These smaller, fluffier horses are all over Iceland. I think this was the moment they realized I had no food for them.


This is abandoned wreckage of a US Navy plane in Iceland.

The elusive Icelandic sheep. This was probably my 30th attempt at a sheep picture. For some reason, this little guy looked straight at me while the rest during our vacation ran when I tried to take pictures.

Spider under my porch. I loved the lines in this picture; both the straight linear lines of the porch railing, which are out of focus, yet haphazard lines of the spider's web and his limbs which are in focus. 

Vik, Iceland. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And The Journey Begins

29.....it got here a lot quicker than I thought it would. Looking back over those 29 years (and yes I know that's not a lot comparatively and I hope to have many, many more years for adventures and experiences), there are many things I'm happy to reminisce about. A great childhood with loving parents, playing softball and experiencing life with my sister, attending the University of Tennessee, completing an undergraduate and master's degree by 24, making life-long friends, marrying my best friend Chance and finding ourselves currently living in, working for and loving the Best Town Ever .  There are also thoughts of missed opportunities, what if's and heartbreaks in those 29 years; the biggest of which is the loss of my father in 2007. But as I got closer to my 29th birthday, I realized that I wanted a challenge. And I of course could have picked a goal, a race, a task to strive for....but to all those that know me, I'm a bit of an over-achiever. So, I decided to

Eat All the Veggies

I love to cook. Preparing meals is not stressful for me; it's my time to relax and unwind in the evening and a way I show others that I care. But, I could go without doing the dishes. And for the month of June, I ate and cooked exclusively vegetarian. One of the reasons I wanted to try being vegetarian for a month was the challenge it would present in cooking. A big thank you to  all my social media friends for sharing your vegetarian recipes, favorite bloggers, staple ideas and quick non-meat dishes that you enjoy. Below are some of the suggested items that I also enjoyed: Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo   Pizza Quinoa Casserole Quorn Products I'm not a big fan of meat substitutes, but these were good. Tofu and seitan make me want to throw up.  Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wraps Zucchini Meatballs - LOVED these! Put artichokes, havarti cheese and pesto onto some fancy bread and make a panini.  Cookie and Kate (blog) The First Mess (blog) Naturally Ella (blog)  And f

Ballooning Anyone?

Jump into a basket with 16 other people and soar high above the ground with a huge balloon and two propane tanks as your navigation instruments. Sounds like a combination for a bad time right? Actually, it was amazing! For my last blog post, I'm going to talk about my Hot Air Balloon experience in Napa Valley and why I selected this adventure. Overall, heights and I get along. I've zip-lined over enormous canyons and near volcanoes in Costa Rica and stepped onto the glass floor of the Skydeck Ledge in Chicago along with perching atop look-offs of many hikes. But, there's something about the uncertainty of riding in a balloon that even unnerved my heights loving heart. But that anxiety subsided after about 1.2 minutes in the air. I decided to take the Hot Air Balloon trip in Napa Valley because it's a beautiful way to see the area, and it's a very common attraction in the area. Our pilot had over 30 years piloting and ballooning experience and completed about 250